In Memoriam

In Memoriam

The section was updated January 10, 2019. Please note that deaths are reported as we receive notice of them. Therefore, alumni dates of death are not always reported chronologically.

Send in a tribute 

Honor your friends and loved ones in Alumni Horae. You may send a copy of an obituary, your own written tribute, a note listing a few facts about the deceased. We also request that you send a photo for inclusion. E-mail the information and high resolution photos to


1937 Albert Morton Creighton, Jr.

A moral man, who loved his family and nature, died peacefully at home in Manchester-by-the-Sea, Mass., on September 17, 2018. He was 100 years old and had lived a remarkable life. Mr. Creighton was born on March 28, 1918, in Lynn, Mass., to Albert and Margaret Creighton. He and his family spent their time visiting a family farm in Middleton and on the coast in Swampscott, experiences that helped develop his love for the outdoors. During this time, Mr. Creighton even sold lobsters to President Calvin Coolidge, who occasionally summered next door to the family. In the fall of 1932, Mr. Creighton enrolled at St. Paul’s School, where he competed with Delphian in football, hockey, squash, and track and rowed with Halcyon. He also was a member of the Concordian Society and the Scientific Association and served as a prefect. He attended Harvard, where he earned a B.S. in 1941. Mr. Creighton went on to work in Boston for the War Production Board, which involved taking inventory of all factories that could help in the war effort. Mr. Creighton was able to set up similar offices in Portland, Maine, and Montpelier, Vt.

Mr. Creighton returned to Boston and volunteered for service with the Army’s Office of Strategic Services (OSS), and was sent to Yunnan Province, China. After seeing a man killed while repairing a gas tank, Mr. Creighton determined that there must be a safer way to do that work. On returning to the U.S., he began to develop some of the earliest metal-filled, two-part epoxy products. With this foundation, Mr. Creighton founded Devcon Corporation in Danvers, Mass., in 1950. The signature product of the company, plastic steel, was revolutionary in home and industrial repairs for its low cost and easy use. Under his leadership, the company was able to create more than 100 original products. A passionate conservationist, in 1960 Mr. Creighton co-founded the Manchester Essex Conservation Trust. To date, the Trust has preserved about 1,700 acres of land, with the goal of saving more than 3,000 in the future. Mr. Creighton also served on a variety of boards focused on natural preservation. Some of these included Essex County Greenbelt Association; the Maine Coast Heritage Trust; the Peabody-Essex Museum of Salem; and the Boys and Girls Club of Lynn.

He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Hilary Holcomb Creighton; four children, Sarah Lispenard Creighton, William Powers Creighton, Albert “Mory” Creighton III, and Peter Holcomb Creighton and their spouses; and seven grandchildren. He was predeceased by his daughter, Katherine.

1942 John Warne Herbert

Entrepreneur, master of dream imagery, and aviator, died peacefully on August 29, 2018, in Austin, Texas. He was 95 years old. Born on April 17, 1923, Mr. Herbert was raised in Fort Worth, Texas, the son of John and Margaret Herbert. He enrolled at St. Paul’s School in 1938, where he competed with Isthmian and Halcyon. He also served as secretary of the Library Association as a Sixth Former. Mr. Herbert served in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve during World War II, before enrolling at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He graduated in 1948 with a degree in mechanical engineering. Over the course of his life, Mr. Herbert owned and operated small businesses, including one that produced sound systems for rock festivals and concert halls and another that harvested sea urchins in the Santa Barbara Channel of Southern California. With the help of his sisters, his nephew, Eric Stroud, and their trust advisor, Don Drury, Mr. Herbert also worked with his family’s oil field business.

Later in life, he discovered an interest in psychology and dreamwork. He attended San Francisco State University, graduating in 1970 with a master’s in psychology. At 77, he earned his Ph.D. in psychology and the study of dream imagery from Saybrook Institute in San Francisco. In this field, Mr. Herbert created the first Internet systems for analyzing dreams. Working with his colleague, Jeremy Taylor, Mr. Herbert interpreted dreams online in AOL’s platform for live dreamwork. He also lectured on cruise ships and at wellness festivals about dreams and their meanings. Mr. Herbert loved flying and enjoyed 65 years as a pilot, which included flying internationally with Pan Am. He also published aviation safety magazines, helped develop safety standards for the Flight Safety Foundation, and built and flew two experimental airplanes. Mr. Herbert also owned and operated an aviation services company in Redding, Calif., that provided fuel, maintenance, avionics, a flight school, a charter service, and airplane sales. He flew as a charter pilot for Sun Valley Aviation and escorted U.S. Forest Service personnel and POWER Engineers staff to sites throughout the West. Mr. Herbert is remembered as a lifelong learner, curious about all matters in life. He was kind, loving, and supportive, encouraging those he knew to follow their dreams.

Mr. Herbert is survived by his wife of 40 years, Geri Herbert; his sister, Joanne Stroud Bilby; his son, John Warne Herbert, Jr.; his daughter-in-law, Deborah Herbert (widow of Timothy Herbert); and several granddaughters, great-grandchildren, nieces, nephews, grandnieces, and grandnephews. He was predeceased in 2007 by his son, Timothy, and by his sister, Joyce Herbert Mann.


1943 Hugh MacRae II

Who will be remembered for his philanthropy and real estate development in Wilmington, N.C., died on October 8, 2018. He was 93. Mr. MacRae was born in Wilmington on November 24, 1924, to Marguerite Bellamy and Nelson MacRae of the Form of 1912. As a boy, Mr. MacRae especially enjoyed visiting his maternal grandmother, who lived in Wilmington, because he could run around her third-floor ballroom. He entered SPS as a Second Former in 1938 and was to graduate in 1943. He graduated a year early in hopes of completing at least one year of college before reaching draft age. Mr. MacRae would later say that SPS had “equipped him for adult life.” During his years at SPS, Mr. MacRae captained the crew and played football and hockey for Isthmian. He was also a member of the Scientific Association. Mr. MacRae left Princeton in 1943 to enlist in the Aviation Cadet Program of the U.S. Army Air Corps and served in World War II. He was honorably discharged in 1945 and returned to Princeton to complete a B.A. in economics. He then earned his M.B.A. from the University of North Carolina in 1948.

In 1967, Mr. MacRae married Eunice “Bambi” Taylor MacRae. The couple met on a golf course in Miami when a mutual friend asked her to keep Mr. MacRae company during his visit. Mrs. MacRae told the friend that she’d play golf with him for a day but would not entertain him all week. Throughout his career, Mr. MacRae continued the legacies of his family. On his mother’s side, he was a Bellamy of Bellamy Mansion, which served briefly as Union headquarters during Wilmington’s occupation in the Civil War. The mansion is now a museum that was restored in part by a financial donation from Mr. MacRae. Mr. MacRae’s paternal grandfather, Hugh MacRae, owned the streetcar system, a local power company, a bank, golf course, and waterfront resorts. He also settled large parts of North Carolina by recruiting farmers from abroad to work his agricultural colonies. Upon the death of his grandfather, Mr. MacRae and his sister, Marguerite Boucher, began running the family development business, which they renamed the Oleander Company. Mr. MacRae became intrigued by a new style of shopping center and recruited James William Rouse, who would later coin the word “mall,” as a consultant.

In 1956, Mr. MacRae opened the 320,000-square-foot Hanover Shopping Center, Wilmington’s first major shopping complex. He said at the time that he hoped he hadn’t “hitched (his) wagon to a dummy.” The center remains open today. Across the street sits the Independence Mall, which Mr. MacRae opened in 1979. In 2000, he received the Razor Walker Award, presented annually to a North Carolinian whose work benefits children. Mr. MacRae also worked to address a more difficult part of his great-grandfather’s history. The elder MacRae was one of the key organizers of an 1898 coup d’état in Wilmington that sought to unseat the city’s elected black leaders and resulted in a number of casualties. Nearly 100 years later, Mr. MacRae was one of the major donors to a memorial honoring those who suffered during the uprising.

Mr. MacRae is survived by his wife of 51 years, Bambi; four children, Hugh MacRae III, Nelson MacRae, Marguerite “Meg” Bellamy MacRae ’88, and Rachel MacRae and their spouses; four grandchildren; and his sister, Marguerite Boucher.


1945 William Cox Jones

A gracious man with a big heart, who had the ability to make those around him feel welcome, died on October 12, 2018. He was 90 years old and a resident of Richmond, Va. Born in Orange, N.J., on October 28, 1927, Bill Jones was the son of the late Colonel Catesby ap C. Jones and Elizabeth Jones. He enrolled at St. Paul’s in the winter of 1940 from The Pingry School in Elizabeth, N.J. At SPS, Mr. Jones played football, hockey, and tennis for Delphian and rowed with Shattuck. He was a member of the Missionary Society. He went on to Yale, graduating with a B.A. in sociology with the Class of 1950. He was a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity. On May 14, 1955, Mr. Jones married Lee Wagner. Together the couple raised five children in Richmond, Va., spending summers in Edgartown, Mass., on Martha’s Vineyard. Mr. Jones spent his career in insurance. He began as a life insurance representative with Horseley-Williams. He later served as president of the Jones Financial Group and for many years was a leading agent for The Life Insurance Company of Virginia. He was a Chartered Life Underwriter and a Chartered Financial Consultant, served as president of the Richmond Association of Insurance and Financial Consultants and of the Estate Planning Council of Richmond and was a member of the Society of Financial Service Professionals.

A community participant, Mr. Jones was a Scoutmaster of Troop 418 at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church. He was the membership chairman of the Richmond Chamber of Commerce and served two terms on the Virginia Council for the Deaf. He coached Richmond’s first amateur hockey team, the Hobart Scalers, and was vice chairman of the Deep Run Hunt Club Races. Mr. Jones also was a former vestry member of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, a member of the Society of the Cincinnati, the Society of Colonial Wars, the Country Club of Virginia, the Commonwealth Club, the West Richmond Rotary Club, the Omnibus Club, and the James River Bridge Club. He was past president of the Yale Club of Virginia. Though he lived much of his life in Virginia, Mr. Jones was drawn to New England by his love of St. Paul’s School and of Edgartown, where he spent more than 70 summers in the company of a large extended family. He was an honorary member of the Edgartown Golf Club and the Martha’s Vineyard Rotary Club. Mr. Jones was a gentleman and an avid reader, who always had a book in hand.

Bill Jones was predeceased by his brother, Catesby Brooke Jones ’43, and his grandson, Seth Vieara Jones. He is survived by his wife of 63 years, Lee Wagner Jones; five children, Robert Brooke Jones, Thomas Catesby Jones, Elizabeth Cox Jones, Laura Jones Ghivizzani, and William Stewart Jones and their spouses; 10 grandchildren; five step-grandchildren; one great-grandchild; and his beloved Golden Retriever, Molly, who was always by his side.

1945 William Hall Painter

A law professor, who specialized in federal securities regulation, died on October 28, 2018, in Yarmouth Port, Mass. He was 91. Mr. Painter was born on May 2, 1927, in Pittsburgh, Pa., to John Littleton Dawson Painter of the Form of 1910 and Eleanor Hall Painter. He entered St. Paul’s School as a Second Former in the fall of 1940, graduating summa cum laude. He played football and hockey as a Delphian and rowed with Shattuck. He also sang in the Choir and Glee Club and was a member of the Library Association, the Scientific Association, and the Cadmean Literary Society. After graduation, Mr. Painter served for a brief period with the U.S. Naval Reserve and then entered Princeton University, from which he graduated Phi Beta Kappa in 1950 with high honors in philosophy. After a year of graduate study in philosophy at Princeton, he entered Harvard Law School and graduated with honors in 1954. He then practiced law in New York City as an associate with the firm of Debevoise, Plimpton and McLean (now Debevoise & Plimpton).

Later, he became a law professor and taught at several universities, including Harvard, where he was a teaching fellow, the University of Michigan, where he was a visiting professor, the University of Illinois, where he taught for 15 years and was the first Albert E. Jenner Jr. Professor of Law, and George Washington University, where he taught for 10 years as the Theodore Rinehart Professor of Business Law. His specialties included federal securities regulation and, from 1971 to 1972, he served as special counsel and director of a study of the securities industry for the U.S. House of Representatives. He was the author of dozens of books and articles, and his expertise was in corporate law, securities law, and tax. Mr. Painter’s outside interests included showing his beloved English Setters and collecting first editions of 18th and early 19th century English literature and pre-Columbian and Chinese terracotta funerary animal figures from the Han and Tang Dynasties. In retirement, he contributed numerous articles to the Yarmouth Register, near his Massachusetts summer home, dealing with 19th century ship captains, clipper ships, and other voyages. Mr. Painter was a member of the New York Bar, American Law Institute, the Cosmos Club, the English Setter Association of America, and the National Capital English Setter Club.

He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Marion Homer Painter; two sons, Richard William Painter and Edward Painter; and five grandchildren.


1946 Benjamin Henry Paddock III

A businessman, who was devoted to his community and was known as a trusted friend and mentor, died, surrounded by his loving family, on November 28, 2018. He was 90 years old and a resident of Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich. Mr. Paddock was born in Detroit, Mich., on February 8, 1928, to Benjamin Henry Jr. and Mary Bulkley Paddock. Prior to entering St. Paul’s School as a Second Former in the fall of 1941, Mr. Paddock attended Detroit University School. At SPS, he was a member of the Missionary Society and the Concordian Literary Society, wrote for The Pelican, sang in the Glee Club, and played football and hockey for Delphian. As a Sixth Former, he coached one of the Lower School football teams. In 1950, Mr. Paddock graduated with a B.A. from Trinity College, where he was a member of St. Anthony’s Hall. He earned an M.B.A. from the University of Michigan School of Business two years later, in 1952. That same year, Mr. Paddock joined the U.S. Navy during the Korean War. He graduated from Officer Candidate School in 1952 and served the next three years as a gunnery officer on two destroyers, USS Porter and USS Vogelgesang. He was discharged as a Lieutenant.

In 1956, Mr. Paddock entered the banking business as a loan officer at National Bank of Detroit. He went on to join City National Bank as vice president in 1965 and was promoted to president of the bank and chairman of its holding company. In 1980, he was hired by Ameritrust Corp. in Cleveland, Ohio, as executive vice president and later elected to the board of directors and named vice chairman. In 1990, Mr. Paddock retired from banking, at which time he established a financial consulting firm. He loved his work and remained committed to his clients until his death. On August 23, 1958, Mr. Paddock married Anne Noble Sherer in Grosse Pointe. Together the couple raised four children, Benjamin, Anthony, Matthew, and Anne. Throughout his career, Mr. Paddock was active in business, community, and charitable organizations. He served as a director of the Federal Reserve Bank, Detroit; Detroit Chamber of Commerce; Great Lakes Construction; Fletcher Paper Co.; U.S. Farathane; Detroit Economic Club, and the Northern States Bancorp. For many years, he was director, CEO, and chairman of the board of Minbank Corporation in Washington, D.C., which supported the emergence of minority-owned banks. Mr. Paddock also acted as a governor and president of the University Club of Detroit. He was strongly committed to and served as a voice for organizations such as New Detroit Inc., Leader Dogs for the Blind, Detroit Area Council Boy Scouts of America, Youth Living Center, and Crossroads of Michigan.

 With a profound appreciation for the outdoors, Mr. Paddock was an avid fisherman. As a teenager, he worked as a fly-fishing guide in Aspen, Colo. Later, he belonged to The Fontinalis Club in Northern Michigan, where he loved teaching his grandchildren to fly-fish. He never missed his annual Atlantic salmon fishing trip to Labrador with his sons and son-in-law. He also loved golfing and was a stamp collector. Family, friends and colleagues sought Mr. Paddock’s companionship and guidance. His warm laughter and available ear made him a confidant to many. At his form’s 50th reunion in 1996, Mr. Paddock was asked to share a bit of wisdom with graduating Sixth Formers. His response? “Work harder than the guys on either side of you.”

In addition to his wife of 60 years, Anne, Mr. Paddock is survived by his four children, Benjamin Henry Paddock IV, Anthony Sherer Paddock, Matthew Gray Paddock, and Anne Paddock Rahm; their spouses; and 10 grandchildren. He was predeceased in 2000 by his brother, Peter Paddock ’48.


1946  Albert “Skip” Tilt III

Who credited St. Paul’s School with giving him the “freedom to think and encouragement to be creative,” died on October 7, 2018, at his home overlooking the St. George River in Tenant’s Harbor, Maine. He was 89. Skip Tilt was born in New York City on October 19, 1928, to Albert Tilt, Jr. of the Form of 1922 and Mary Chester Tilt. He entered SPS as a Third Former in 1942. He was a member of the Concordian Society, the Missionary Society, the Scientific Association, and the Acolyte’s Guild. He played football, hockey, and squash and participated in crew. He also served as a prefect. St. Paul’s played an especially important role in Skip’s young life because his father had enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1941, the day after the attack on Pearl Harbor, and was stationed in the Philippines during Skip’s years at SPS. After attending Harvard, where he was a member of the Hasty Pudding Club, Skip worked for a number of advertising firms, including Wilson, Haight & Welch, Inc. in New York City, where he was executive vice president. He married Cornelia Murray in 1950 and started a family with the birth of twin boys, Alexander ’73 and Whitney.

Skip welcomed two more children after marrying Grace Shepherd Chambers in 1960. Shortly before retiring in 1975, he married Catherine Murphy in 1972. The couple moved west and bought a ranch in Tetonia, Idaho, to farm barley and raise Hereford cattle at the base of the Grand Tetons. Skip met Christina Petro in Idaho, and they married in 1985. In their 33 years of marriage, they devoted their lives to the local community, especially to land and wildlife preservation. Skip was one of the founding members of the Teton Regional Land Trust. Skip’s son, Alexander, said his father’s love of the outdoors defined him, whether farming, fishing the salmon rivers of Quebec and New Brunswick, or pursuing upland birds behind trained setters, pointers, and spaniels. The Tilts supported the local hospital, and Skip served as chairman of the Teton Valley Economic Development Council and on the board of directors for the Family Safety Network. In an undated survey sent to SPS, Skip said he considered philanthropy a lifetime obligation. Asked what advice he’d give an SPS graduate, Skip wrote, “Balance your determination with a healthy dose of self doubt. Learn that one must give in order to receive and you, more than most, have a debt to society that must be paid during your lifetime.” In the same survey, Skip said the high points of his life included his family and the ability to make a difference in his community.

Skip spent his final years in Tenant’s Harbor, Maine, amid the salty tang of the Atlantic and the lobster boats along the St. George River. He is survived by his wife, Christina; his children, Alexander Tilt ’73, Whitney Tilt, Patricia “Tysh” Tilt McGrail ’79, and Albert “Tye” Tilt and their spouses; and five grandchildren, Alexandra “Za” Tilt Renehan ’05, Andrew C. Tilt ’08, Campbell McDonald “Mac” Tilt, Allison C. Tilt, and Molly Chester Tilt McGrail.


1948 Alfred Wild “Alf” Gardner

Who loved fishing and the outdoors and enjoyed a second career in real estate, died peacefully at home on December 3, 2018, two weeks before his 89th birthday. Mr. Gardner was born in Princeton, N.J., on December 17, 1929, to Sarah Spencer Morgan Gardner and Henry Burchell Gardner of the Form of 1909. On the day Alfred was born, the elder Mr. Gardner sent word of his son’s birth to St. Paul’s, requesting via Western Union telegram that Alfred be added to the list for admission. Mr. Gardner attended Princeton Country Day School and The Forman School in Litchfield, Conn., before enrolling at St. Paul’s School as a Second Former in the fall of 1943. He sang with the Glee Club and was a member of the Missionary Society and the Scientific Association. One of the best athletes in his form, Mr. Gardner earned letters in football, hockey, and crew. He went on to Princeton, where he played hockey and graduated with the Class of 1952. On June 15, 1951, Mr. Gardner married Sandra Hebard in Princeton, N.J. The Gardners moved to Aspen, Colo., in 1952, where Mr. Gardner did odd jobs, while taking some time for fishing and skiing. The couple returned to Princeton in 1953, after their first son was born, and Mr. Gardner began working for Roebling Sons in Trenton. He spent 18 years, from 1954 to 1972, with The First National City Bank, now Citigroup, during which time he attended a Harvard Business School Management Program, graduating in 1966. Mr. Gardner worked for years in the Personal Banking Division at Citigroup and later in the Commodities Division as vice president. 

In 1972, the Gardners moved to Basalt, Colo., near Aspen, to live in a home they built on the Fryingpan River. In 1976, he started his own real estate firm, which later merged to become Basalt Realty. A fanatical fly-fisherman, Mr. Gardner purchased and developed Otto Creek Ranch along the Fryingpan River. His other hobbies included wildlife and landscape photography and golf. Mr. Gardner retired in 1997 from his real estate work, a year after losing his wife, Sandra, on March 4, 1996. On January 17, 1998, he married Katharine Gulick Wert, who had also been widowed, in Palm Desert, Calif. The couple split time between Basalt, Colo., Mantoloking, N.J., and La Quinta, Calif. Mr. Gardner was a member of The Mantoloking Yacht Club, The Nassau Club, and The Old Guard of Princeton. He was a past member of the Eagle County, Colorado Planning Commission, Bedens Brook Club, and The Princeton Club of New York. He served as an usher at St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church in Palm Desert and was a member of the Rancho La Quinta Country Club, where he lived with his second wife, Katharine. He was a member of the John Hargate Society, having remembered St. Paul’s School in his estate planning.

Mr. Gardner was predeceased in 1996 by his first wife, Sandra Hebard Gardner, and on February 9, 1977, by his son, Henry “Burchell” Gardner. He is survived by his sons, Alfred Gardner and Frederick Gardner; his daughter, Mary Gardner; four grandchildren; and his wife, Katharine Gulick Gardner. His grandfather, Junius Morgan, graduated with the Form of 1884. Other SPS relations include nephews Henry Gardner Rulon-Miller ’54 and Patrick Rulon-Miller ’58.


1949 Matthew Page Mackay-Smith

Pioneering equine veterinarian, writer, and editor, died on December 8, 2018, at Godfrey House in Berryville, Va. He was 86. Born in Washington, D.C., on September 15, 1932, Dr. Mackay-Smith was the son of Alexander Mackay-Smith of the Form of 1920 and Joan Higginson Mackay-Smith. He attended the Stuyvesant School in Warrenton Va., before enrolling at St. Paul’s School as a Second Former in the fall of 1944. Dr. Mackay-Smith arrived two months late to SPS, remaining home for much of the fall to recover from a leg injury. He sang in the Choir and Glee Club, competed in football, hockey, track, squash, and crew, and was a member of Der Deutshe Verein. Even as a high school student, he aspired to be a veterinarian, fueled by his love of animals. Dr. Mackay-Smith grew up on a working farm in Virginia, the son of prominent horsemen. He began riding at age six and was driving work horses at 14. He earned his A.B. in biology from Harvard in 1953, his D.V.M. from the University of Georgia in 1958, and a master’s in orthopedics and epidemiology from the University of Pennsylvania in 1960. Dr. Mackay-Smith was the first large animal intern at the UPenn School of Veterinary Medicine, where he taught for seven years. He went on to practice equine veterinary medicine for four decades, specializing in surgery.

On June 16, 1958, Dr. Mackay-Smith married Wingate “Winkie” Eddy in Annapolis, Md. Together the couple raised daughters Joan ’78, Juliet, and Emily ’86. In 1967, he co-founded the Delaware Equine Center, which later moved to Cochranville, Pa. With colleague Daniel Marks, Dr. Mackay-Smith pioneered a host of surgical and diagnostic procedures that remain standard in the field, including the “tie back” procedure for the common equine respiratory disorder laryngeal hemiplegia. Drs. Marks and Mackay-Smith were also the first to use a rigid endoscope to film the workings of the equine larynx, a major breakthrough in diagnostics. Dr. Mackay-Smith was an institution on country roads, motoring between his clients’ barns in a battered BMW, on which he put 500,000 miles, driving it to such a state of exhaustion that his mechanic eventually refused to let him use it anymore. Between 1961 and 2001, Dr. Mackay-Smith was the author of 22 professional papers and lectured widely on a host of equine veterinary subjects. He joined the American Association of Equine Practitioners in 1961 and served on the organization’s Ethics, Racetrack, Education, Prepurchase, and Farrier Liaison Committees. In 1977, while maintaining his medical practice, he became medical editor for the newly founded EQUUS magazine. A born wordsmith who had adapted to a childhood stutter by amassing a vocabulary to give him alternate words to use when stuck on one, he was a superb editor and mentor. He retired from veterinary practice in 2001 and from EQUUS in 2007.

An avid endurance rider and foxhunter, Dr. Mackay-Smith located and mapped the colonial roads of Clarke County, Va. In recognition of his achievement, he was named Historian Laureate by the Clarke County Historic Association in 2011. In an endurance riding career that spanned more than three decades, he introduced several innovations to protect the welfare of the equine competitors, changes embraced by the American Endurance Ride Conference, for which he was a board member and one-time president, and the International Federation for Equestrian Sports. In 2000, shortly after his 50th SPS reunion, he wrote that while his bones and memory were less reliable, his “enthusiasm [remained] unimpaired.” Throughout his career, Dr. Mackay-Smith made it his mission to educate owners on ways to better care for their horses. At his 50th reunion at the University of Georgia in 2008, he was honored as Veterinarian of the Year. He is a member of the Hall of Fame of the American Endurance Riding Conference and the American Farriers Journal International Veterinarians Hall of Fame.

Matthew Mackay-Smith is survived by his wife of 60 years, Wingate “Winkie” Eddy Mackay-Smith; three daughters, Joan Mackay-Smith Dalton ’78, Juliet Mackay-Smith, and Emily Day ’86; and six grandchildren. Portions of this obituary were published in The Winchester Star. Credit: Laura Hillenbrand.


1951 John Laimbeer Lorenz

Died on October 8, 2018, at his home in Morrill, Maine, surrounded by family. Mr. Lorenz was born in New York City on April 16, 1934, to Keith and Helen Laimbeer Lorenz. He spent his early childhood on Long Island, where he attended the Green Vale School from kindergarten through grade four. In 1943, during World War II, his family moved into New York City, where Mr. Lorenz attended The Buckley School. He entered St. Paul’s School as a Third Former in the fall of 1947, where he competed with Old Hundred in football, hockey, and baseball. He was also a member of Le Cercle Français and the Cadmean Literary Society. A faithful alumnus, he served as form director for the Form of 1951 from 1986 until his death, except for the years 1991 to 2001. After St. Paul’s, Mr. Lorenz attended Harvard, where he was a member of Adams House, Army ROTC, the Phoenix Club, and the Hasty Pudding Institute of 1770. Following graduation in 1955, he served as a Lieutenant at the U.S. Army Nike Site in Bristol, R.I., from 1956 to 1958. He then settled on the North Shore of Boston from 1958 to 1993, primarily residing in Manchester-by-the-Sea, where he was an active member of the Essex County Club and the North Shore Skating Association, serving as director of youth activities for both organizations.

Mr. Lorenz loved his career in educational publishing, working for more than 40 years as a textbook rep with D. C. Heath, Charles E. Merrill, Prentice Hall, McGraw Hill, and, for his 14 favorite years of that time, Addison Wesley. He also was the founder and president of a successful publishing firm, Independent School Press (ISP), from which he resigned to spend more time with his children. From 1970 to 1974, Mr. Lorenz was the director of athletics and taught history at the Brookwood School in Manchester-by-the-Sea, where he coached football, soccer, hockey, baseball, softball, and lacrosse. Above all, Mr. Lorenz’s greatest pleasure was being with his six children, particularly when they were participating in sports. He coached many of their baseball, softball, and hockey teams, and drove them all over New England for their junior tennis and hockey tournaments. His three sons played on a hockey team Mr. Lorenz founded, the Cossacks, which was arguably the best-known and respected youth team in the Northeast, competitive for 25 years in New England, New York, and Canada. Most of the boys went on to play college hockey and a few even in the NHL. Mr. Lorenz often said his love for hockey was developed on the nine rinks of Lower School Pond, where he played for various Old Hundred teams.

In retirement, Mr. Lorenz spent every spring, summer, and fall at his home in Midcoast Maine. He also loved wintering in Palm Beach, Fla., but his happiest times of all were at his summer home, known as “The Farm,” where his children and their families would stay for extended periods. Life was filled with badminton, croquet, Wiffle ball, cookouts, and all the delights of a Maine summer. Mr. Lorenz’s two marriages ended in divorce. He leaves three daughters, Laura Lorenz, Diana Lorenz Weggler, and Angela Lorenz Figliomeni; two sons, Christopher and John Lorenz; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. He was predeceased by his oldest son, Robin ’81.


1958 William Anderson Kirk, Jr.

Whose time playing hockey on the ponds of SPS led to many years of coaching youth hockey, died peacefully surrounded by family on October 3, 2018. He was 77. Born on November 22, 1940, in Greenwich, Conn., to Marion Christine Shaw Kirk and William (Andrew) Anderson Kirk, Mr. Kirk was raised in Connecticut and New Jersey with his sister, Ann, and brother Bruce. He entered SPS as a First Former in 1952, where he played squash and hockey, participated in crew, and was a member of the Missionary Society and Rifle Club. Following his graduation from SPS, Mr. Kirk earned a B.A. from Columbia University in 1962. That same year, he enrolled in the U.S. Navy Officer Candidate School and served in the Navy Reserve until 1966. He earned his M.B.A from Columbia in 1968. In 1963, Mr. Kirk married Martha Brier Bailey at St. Luke’s Parish in Darien, Conn. Together the couple raised two sons. Mr. Kirk worked on Wall Street on the treasury desk with Morgan Guaranty, First Boston, and then Credit Suisse, where he was vice president, before retiring early to travel, work on his golf game and, later, care for his wife.

Mr. Kirk was devoted to Leake and Watts Orphanage and Foster Services (now called Rising Ground), a nonprofit organization in New York City. His father had volunteered significant time as clerk/secretary and later provided real estate and legal services to the agency. Mr. Kirk served terms as treasurer, vice president, and president of the board. He was instrumental in the financial planning required for a new campus. After losing his father early in his time at SPS, Mr. Kirk’s friends and the School gave him much-needed support, his family said. When he bought boats years later, he named them Halycon and Halycon II. He was proud when his grandson, Kai Kirk ’12, followed in his footsteps as an SPS graduate. Kai Kirk said he was fortunate to share the SPS connection with his grandfather, who urged him to take advantage of all the opportunities available at the School – and made sure he learned how to skate. Mr. Kirk maintained his early interest in ice hockey and coached his sons and many other young skaters in youth hockey. Golf was another passion for Mr. Kirk. He loved the game and the greenery. He could often be found landscaping and splitting wood, and he was able to mow his lawn in the dark. Mr. Kirk also kept a 1966 Vespa running for his wife. He loved the ocean, boating, and traveling. The Kirks boated the eastern seaboard and traveled to Europe and Japan. They were members of the Darien Boat Club and Norwalk Yacht Club. Mr. Kirk also loved dogs and, at one point, raised and championed several English Cocker Spaniels at New England dog shows.

Bill Kirk was predeceased by his wife, Martha Kirk, and his brother, Bruce Kirk. He is survived by his sons, Andrew A. Kirk and Christopher B. Kirk and their spouses; four grandchildren, Kai Kirk ’12, Hanna Kirk, Tyler Kirk, and Lily Kirk; and his sister, Ann Knoop.

1965 Hugh Duncan Galusha III

Died May 31, 2018, at his home in Coolidge, Arizona. He was 72 years old. Mr. Galusha was born on February 3, 1946, in Helena, Montana, to Sarah Jean (Shumate) and Hugh D. Galusha, Jr., the oldest of four children. Mr. Galusha’s deep love of the Montana and Wyoming mountains inspired one of his college professors to author a book about his own 16-year spiritual journey visiting those peaks. Mr. Galusha enrolled at St. Paul’s from Helena Senior High as a Fifth Former in the fall of 1962. While at SPS, he competed in football, boxing, wrestling, and track. He was also a member of the Library Association. In the winter of 1964, Mr. Galusha and others from Twenty House entered the Fiske Cup Competition. John Fletcher ’65 recalled that Mr. Galusha earned accolades for his performance as Jabez Stone in Stephen Vincent Benet’s “The Devil and Daniel Webster.” Mr. Galusha struggled to feel as though he fit in at St. Paul’s, said his sister, Emily Galusha, and he withdrew in 1964. He enrolled at Montana State University without finishing high school, on the strength of his college entrance exams, she said. A year later, Mr. Galusha withdrew from Montana State to enlist in the U.S. Marine Corps and served in combat missions in Vietnam from 1967 to 1968. Following his honorable discharge, Mr. Galusha re-enrolled at Montana State, and, in 1978 he earned a B.S. in land resources and environmental science.

It was during his college years that Mr. Galusha met professor Ken McCullough, who said Mr. Galusha introduced him to the Sheepeater Indians of Yellowstone. Mr. McCullough came to share that interest, and his hikes in Yellowstone, several with Mr. Galusha, became the basis for his book Obsidian Point, a chronicle of his time in Yellowstone’s wilderness. Mr. McCullough included Mr. Galusha in his book dedication. Mr. Galusha’s sister, Molly, said the wide expanse of Yellowstone was what her brother needed after Vietnam. “It just enabled him to roam,” she said. “That was really healing. I don’t think he ever really recovered from Vietnam.” Mr. Galusha was retired from the State of Arizona, where he had worked as a hydrologist and range conservationist. Later in life, Mr. Galusha immersed himself in creative pursuits, said his sister, Emily. He built and lived in a small Japanese tea house, studied Chinese and Carl Jung, and was known for his artistic tile pieces.

Duncan Galusha is survived by his wife, Socorro M. Luna; his sisters, Molly Galusha, Emily Galusha, and Hope Cook and their spouses; and two children, Paz Galusha-Luna and Luz Bratcher and their spouses.


1966 Richard Albert “Ken” Kenworthy IV

Who enjoyed a long and successful career as a chef, before embarking on a second career as a much-beloved Classics teacher, died on November 18, 2018, at his home in Williamstown, Mass., of complications from pancreatic cancer. He was 70. Mr. Kenworthy was born in Baltimore, Md., on February 9, 1948, to Richard A. Kenworthy III and Evelena Stevens Kenworthy Oakes. He grew up in Maryland before the family moved to Brattleboro, Vt., where he attended the Guilford Central School. Mr. Kenworthy enrolled at St. Paul’s School as a First Former in the fall of 1960. In his application to St. Paul’s, he wrote about taking care of his family’s 13 dogs and his love of life in Vermont. At SPS, Mr. Kenworthy played tennis, football, and hockey. He was a member of the Acolyte’s Guild, the Missionary Society, the Palamedean Society, and Le Cercle Français. He was involved with the Yearbook and sang in the Glee Club. It was at SPS that Mr. Kenworthy discovered a lifelong interest in Classics. He went on to Colby College, where he played varsity tennis and hockey and earned a B.A. in economics in 1971. He pursued the culinary arts, graduating in 1974 from the Culinary Institute of America. Beginning that year, Mr. Kenworthy worked in the Hilton chain, as a banquet chef, acting chef, and sous chef at Tarrytown, N.Y., Myrtle Beach, S.C., and Atlanta, Ga. In 1977, he took a sabbatical year to serve as commis and demi-chef at the Michelin-starred Waldhotel Krautkraemer in Muenster, Germany. His years at Hilton culminated with his appointment as executive chef at the Meadowlands, N.J., Hilton.

 In 1981, Mr. Kenworthy moved to Glastonbury, Conn., where he founded Catering by Kenworthy, which became a top catering firm in the Hartford metro area. A decade later, he branched out, opening downtown Hartford’s first barbecue restaurant, Amarillo Grill. On September 13, 1986, Mr. Kenworthy married Beth Wood. Together the couple had two children. The marriage ended in divorce. As the millennium approached, Mr. Kenworthy decided to return to the Classics. From 2000 until his retirement in 2013, he taught Latin and Greek, primarily at the Williams School in New London, Conn. His academic teaching, like his culinary leadership, was characterized by warmth, humor, high standards, and imagination. He was known for his annual recreation of a Roman feast that included an authentic ancient recipe for dormice (he secretly substituted portions of pork cutlet). The banquet became a rite of passage, as participants were sworn to secrecy. In addition to his culinary creations, his students were also treated to Mr. Kenworthy’s love of words, which took the form of voracious reading and daily workouts with the New York Times crossword puzzle. A talented athlete, Mr. Kenworthy was Maine state champion in squash for two years. He was a hockey goalie at both St. Paul’s and Colby, and became a season-ticket-holder of the now-defunct Hartford Whalers. In later years, when not indulging his love for the New England Patriots, he had a prolonged love affair with the game of golf. Mr. Kenworthy’s affinity for the Classics found a final outlet in his struggle with cancer; his Stoicism, dignity, and grace were his last gifts to his family and friends.

He is survived by his partner, Patricia L. Wilk; his children, Albert O. Kenworthy and Anne C. Kenworthy; his former wife, Beth Wood Kenworthy; and his brothers, Scott K. Kenworthy, Albert T. Kenworthy, and Michael W. Kenworthy. SPS relations include an uncle, Byam Stevens, Jr. ’48, and cousins Byam Stevens III ’71, Alden Stevens ’73, and Brooke Stevens ’75.


1969 Robert Rowland Bennett

A lifelong artist and photographer, whose early work included cover illustrations for Horae Scholasticae, died of natural causes on August 27, 2018, in San Rafael, Calif. Born in Vermont on October 16, 1951, Mr. Bennett was adopted by Robert and Margaret Bennett. He grew up in Gardiner, Maine, and came to St. Paul’s School as a First Former in the fall of 1963. He was a member of the Glee Club and the Missionary Society and was active in drama and sports, including football, hockey and crew. His love of art and photography took root at SPS as well. He was a member of the Art Board and co-art editor of Horae Scholasticae. Over the years, Mr. Bennett penned wry, nostalgic notes to his form by way of St. Paul’s School, discussing his career, family, and hobbies. Mr. Bennett attended American University and graduated from Northern Virginia Community College in 1975. He lived many years in Washington, D.C., and worked a variety of jobs in the arts, including positions as art director, digital photographer, digital illustrator, and freelance photographer. After moving to San Rafael in the early 1990s, Mr. Bennett worked as a master printer at Black Cat Studios and became known for his keen eye for color. He also created a collection of photo montage pieces, which can be viewed at “Bob lived a simple, quiet life,” said his sister, Barbara Bennett, “spending most of his waking hours on his photography, which truly was his life.”

In addition to his sister, Mr. Bennett is survived by his stepmother, Theresa Bennett; and his daughter, Madeleine Kvalheim. He was predeceased in 1970 by his brother, Thomas P. Bennett ’71.

1973 Charles Noell “Charlie” Marvin, Jr.

A plastic surgeon, Army veteran, and devoted community volunteer, died on October 7, 2018, after battling cancer for more than three years. He was 64. Known as Charlie to his friends, Dr. Marvin was born on September 25, 1954, in Detroit, Mich., to Alice Cheek Sanders and Charles Marvin. He enrolled at St. Paul’s School in the fall of 1970. He sang in the Choir and wrote for The Pelican, eventually serving as managing editor. Dr. Marvin rowed with Shattuck and played hockey, squash, tennis, lacrosse, and soccer for Isthmian. He was a member of the Cum Laude Society. Dr. Marvin went on to earn undergraduate degrees in chemistry and history in 1977 from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he was a member of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity. Four years later, he graduated from the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities with his M.D., specializing in plastic and reconstructive surgery. He completed residencies at the Mayo Clinic and the University of Rochester School of Medicine. He also served in the U.S. Army Reserves, retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel.

Throughout his career, Dr. Marvin worked in private practice and devoted his time outside the office to serving his beloved community of Wayzata, Minn., as an involved member of the Wayzata Rotary Club #2138, Boy Scouts of America, Wayzata Masonic Lodge #205, the Women’s Club of Minneapolis, Skylight Club, and numerous other organizations. He was predeceased by his mother, Alice Cheek Sanders, and his brother, William “Wick” Warwick. Survivors include his father, Charles; his former spouse, Martha; their children, Nick, Alex, and Paige and their spouses; three grandchildren; his brother, Sanders; three nephews; and his partner, Mary Harlow.


1973 Frederick Hemsley Levis Smith

A devoted father and grandfather, died, surrounded by loved ones, at his home in Canton, Conn., on October 13, 2018, after a long battle with Crohn’s disease and, more recently, pancreatic cancer. He was 63. Mr. Smith was born on March 24, 1955, in Philadelphia to the late Geoffrey Story Smith Jr. ’42, and Louise Butterworth Smith. He attended the Renbrook School before enrolling at St. Paul’s as a Second Former in the fall of 1968. Two years later, he transferred to Housatonic Valley Regional High School in Falls Village, Conn., but remained deeply connected to St. Paul’s. Mr. Smith kept in close touch with many formmates and fondly remembered his time at the School. He regaled his daughters with stories of his adventures in Millville alongside his brother, Geoffrey Story Smith III ’69, his cousin, Kaighn Smith, Jr. ’74, his friend, Alexander J. Kulch ’73, and many others. Mr. Smith maintained a deep pride in his family’s connection to SPS, which spanned four generations.

Mr. Smith attended the University of Connecticut and went on to build a career in the oil industry, working for Wyatt Oil & Gas and Hess Corporation, before starting his own company, First Service Petroleum, which he operated for nearly two decades. Despite struggling with Crohn’s disease for more than 25 years, Mr. Smith made the most of his life. He was known for his tenacious spirit, love of music, and passions for politics and history. His photo collection was forever growing, representing family and friends across generations and around the world. He adored Philadelphia sports teams and spent many hours cultivating his garden to attract goldfinches and other birds. His proudest accomplishment included his three daughters and four grandchildren.

Mr. Smith leaves his daughters, Alexa Biron ’00, Hannah Smith, and Frances Hayes; four grandchildren; and his siblings, Kathy Steege, Timothy Smith, and Louise Chase. He was predeceased by his parents and his brother, Geoffrey.


1983 Bettina Unhoch Pike

A standout student-athlete at St. Paul’s School, who went on to enjoy a successful career in finance and a rich family life, died of cancer on September 5, 2018, at her home in Woodside, Calif. Born to George L. Unhoch, Jr. and Dagmar Scheve in Wareham, Mass., on June 5, 1966, Ms. Pike came to St. Paul’s School in the fall of 1980. Known for her big smile and enthusiastic demeanor, she earned high honors in her classes, served on numerous committees, performed in dramatic productions, and earned admiration as a talented and tireless athlete. She played field hockey and particularly excelled as a squash and tennis player. “In all likelihood, Tina will be one of the most sought after athletes in the graduating form,” a faculty member wrote in a 1982 recommendation letter. Ms. Pike, whose mother was a native of Germany, also demonstrated a penchant for the German language. She earned a Dickey Prize in German.

After St. Paul’s, Ms. Pike went onto to Yale, where she studied economics, rowed with the varsity crew, and continued to play squash. She went to work for Merrill Lynch on Wall Street and Brown Brothers Harriman and Co. in Paris. She married entrepreneur Tyrone F. Pike in 1998, and the couple moved to Woodside, Calif. There, Ms. Pike devoted herself to family and community life, serving on the local school board for many years, and cheering on her children at their athletic contests. She loved hiking local trails with friends.

Ms. Pike is survived by her parents, George and Dagmar Unhoch; her husband of 20 years, Tyrone F. Pike; her children, George and Lucy; two stepchildren, Logan and Lilli; and her sister, Christina Unhoch Mason ’86.


1992 Jason Philip Andris

A private equity manager, student of American history and politics, and passionate land conservationist, of Far Hills, N.J., died suddenly on Chappaquiddick, Mass., on May 30, 2018. Chappaquiddick held a special place in his heart from the time he was a little boy. Mr. Andris was born in New Jersey on February 22, 1974, to Stathis Andris and Myrna R. Andris. He was raised in Basking Ridge, N.J., and attended The Peck School in Morristown. He arrived at St. Paul’s School as a Third Former in the fall of 1989, where he quickly made what would become lifelong friendships. At St. Paul’s, Mr. Andris enjoyed playing club soccer. He was a member of the Nordic ski team and was a coxswain for the SPS crew program. He became the treasurer of the Missionary Society, participated in the Eton College exchange program, and served as head of the John Winant Society. As head of the Winant Society, Mr. Andris proudly organized the visits of several of the 1992 U.S. presidential candidates. His years at St. Paul’s were the happiest of his life.

A love for crew continued for Mr. Andris at Hamilton College, where he received a B.A. in history and proudly founded the college’s competitive rowing program. Following Hamilton, he attended the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth, where he earned his M.B.A. Mr. Andris went on to become a managing director of the investment firm Venture Investment Associates, which was originally founded by his father. He worked tirelessly on behalf of St. Paul’s as a form agent and recent member of the Alumni Association Executive Committee. His affection for the School was perhaps best shown by spearheading, on behalf of the Andris Family Fund, a published collection of the sermons of Ninth Rector Charles H. “Kelly” Clark. Mr. Andris was passionate about land conservation and sat on several boards, including the Lamington Conservancy and the New Jersey Conservation Foundation. He enjoyed sailing, golfing, and traveling abroad.

On September 29, 2018, members of the St. Paul’s community who had been close to Mr. Andris gathered with his father, his sister, Stacy M. Andris Skalski ’94, and brother-in-law, Philip, at the Old Chapel to remember him. He was eulogized by his dearest formmates and lifelong friends Trevor Patzer ’92, Tyler Smith ’92, Peter McGuire ’92, and Frederik Stanton ’92, along with beloved teacher, mentor, friend, and former SPS faculty member George Carlisle. The service was led by The Rev. Richard E. Greenleaf. Mr. Andris will be remembered for his bright eyes, broad smile, mischievous sense of humor, and old-fashioned formality. He famously never cursed or wore a pair of jeans.

Jason Andris was predeceased by his mother, Myrna, a loss from which he never fully recovered. He is survived by a loving family, including his daughter, Lily, his sister, Stacy Andris Skalski ’94, and his many friends, who brought him much joy and laughter throughout the years.

St Paul's School