In Memoriam

In Memoriam

The section was updated September 14, 2018. Please note that deaths are reported as we receive notice of them. Therefore, alumni dates of death are not always reported chronologically.

Send in a tribute 

Honor your friends and loved ones in Alumni Horae. You may send a copy of an obituary, your own written tribute, a note listing a few facts about the deceased. We also request that you send a photo for inclusion. E-mail the information and high resolution photos to


1945 John Wallace Barnum

a determined man, who helped guide major changes in U.S. transportation, died on July 23, 2018, in Waquoit, Mass. The Washington, D.C., resident was 89 years old. Mr. Barnum was born on August 25, 1928, in New York, N.Y., to Emma Frances Long and William Wallace Atterbury. His father served as the president of the Pennsylvania Railroad for a decade until his death in 1935. Mr. Barnum’s mother married his stepfather, Walter Barnum, in 1938. Preparing for SPS at local schools, Mr. Barnum enrolled at SPS as a Fifth Former in 1943. He sang in the Choir and Glee Club, played football and ice hockey with Isthmian, and rowed with Shattuck. Mr. Barnum attended Yale, graduating in 1949 with a B.A. in Latin studies. He added a master’s in international finance from George Washington University in 1950. After college, he worked in finance in Europe and served as a tank platoon leader for the U.S. Army in Korea, before deciding to pursue a career in law. He went on to attend the Yale Law School, graduating in 1957.

Working as an associate and, later, partner at Cravath, Swaine & Moore in New York, Mr. Barnum represented large commercial clients such as Bethlehem Steel, Chemical Bank, CIBA-Geigy (Novartis), Firestone, General Motors, and Nestle. During the Nixon and Ford administrations, he served as general counsel and then as deputy secretary for the U.S. Department of Transportation. His proudest achievement was helping to convert the six bankrupt railroads in the Northeast, including the former Pennsylvania Railroad that his father had led a half century before, into Conrail. During his time, Mr. Barnum also helped launch deregulation of the railroad and airline industries, negotiated the flight and landing rights of the Concorde Supersonic Transport, and worked on the Law of the Sea Treaty. After leaving public service, Mr. Barnum went on to serve as a fellow at the American Enterprise Institute. He co-founded and served as director of Palmer National Bank, a small Washington bank, and returned to private practice law until he semi-retired in 1994. He and wife, Nancy, moved to Europe, where he joined McGuireWoods as a partner in their Brussels office and managing partner of the firm’s office in Almaty, Kazakhstan, until returning to Washington, D.C., in 2011.

A lifelong lover of the arts, Mr. Barnum used his legal expertise to support various art organizations and served on the boards of the New York City Center for Music and Drama, Arena Stage in Washington, and the Corcoran Gallery of Art. He also was president of the U.S. Federation of Friends of Museums. Mr. Barnum is survived by his wife of 60 years, Nancy; their children, Alex Barnum, Sarah Barnum ’80, Cam Barnum, and Jan O’Malley, and their spouses; and four grandchildren, Alexander, Simon, Oscar, and Lucy.


1947 Richard Eaton “Dick” Burwell

a fine arts professor and family man, who loved to travel, died on July 21, 2018. He was 88. Mr. Burwell was born in Cleveland, Ohio, on March 14, 1930, the son of William and Aubrey Burwell. He began his life as a traveler when his family spent a year in Paris just before the beginning of World War II. He attended Bratenahl public schools in Bratenahl, Ohio, before enrolling at St. Paul’s School as a Fourth Former in the fall of 1944. At SPS, Mr. Burwell was known as a sincere, hardworking boy. He earned his letter in football and also competed in hockey with Isthmian and rowed with Shattuck. Mr. Burwell earned First Testimonials in 1945 and 1946, was runner-up for the Ferguson Scholarship, and won the Hugh Camp Cup public speaking competition. He served as vice president of Le Cercle Français and was a member of the Cadmean Literary Society and the Library Association. From St. Paul’s, Mr. Burwell earned his A.B. from Harvard in 1951 and an M.F.A. from Oxford University. Service in the U.S. Army followed, with Mr. Burwell stationed in Tokyo. Upon his discharge, he and a friend spent the next six months traveling on a shoestring through Southeast Asia, India, Afghanistan, Iran, Jordan, and Egypt. Returning home, he joined ABC in New York as a radio news writer. In Port au Prince, Haiti, he met a fellow vacationer, Letitia Pearre, who was studying Arabic in New York City after taking part in an archeology dig in Jordan. The couple was married in Baltimore on November 2, 1957. Together they raised six children.

Mr. Burwell taught at Duke University and Iowa State University before earning his Ph.D. in fine arts from Yale. He went on to write novels and plays while teaching fine arts at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut. He served as a professor there for 33 years, before retiring in 1998 to Franconia, N.H. In addition to his passions for traveling, teaching, and writing, Mr. Burwell loved attending theater performances and classical music concerts and spending time with his family. Mr. Burwell was predeceased on April 20, 2016, by his wife of 58 years, Letitia Pearre Burwell. He is survived by his six children, Anthony Burwell, Christopher Burwell, Angelica Burwell, Miranda Burwell Young, Mercy Burwell Colberg, and Rebecca Burwell; and 11 grandchildren.


1948 Francis Gualdo “Walt” Ford, Jr.

a man who valued learning and honesty and always did his best in whatever he endeavored, died on May 23, 2018, in Grand Island, Nebraska. He was 87. Mr. Ford was born in Philadelphia on June 16, 1930, to Francis G. Ford, Sr. and Martha (Walther) Ford. He grew up in Scobeyville, N.J., with his sister, Jane, and enrolled at St. Paul’s School in the fall of 1943 from Rumson Day School. At St. Paul’s, Mr. Ford was hailed as “a fine boy in every way.” He was a boxer and a rower, played hockey and football, and ran track. He was a member of the Missionary Society and Der Deutsche Verein. From St. Paul’s, Mr. Ford went on to study at Princeton for three years, before enlisting in the U.S. Army on March 4, 1952. He served during the Korean War in the 1st Division, 26th Regiment, Easy Company and was honorably discharged in March of 1954. He completed his undergraduate degree at Denison University, graduating with a B.A. in political science.

Mr. Ford’s career was marked by his curiosity, industry, and spirit of adventure. He sampled a wide range of professions, from bond trading on Wall Street to farming in Minnesota. His adventurous nature led him to Cuba prior to the Communist revolution in 1959 and later to Colorado, where he started his own business and met his future wife. Mr. Ford married Eleanor Elizabeth Sombric in Denver on April 20, 1963. Together the couple raised two sons, Stephen and Richard. The family lived in Denver, before relocating to Nebraska in 1975. Mr. Ford cherished time outdoors and especially loved gardening, fishing, and animals. He is survived by his son, Stephen, and his wife, Ginny; his son, Richard, and his wife, Renee; and two grandsons. He was predeceased by his wife, Eleanor, and his sister, Jane Hosack.

1949 Howard “Tim” Morton Fry II

a man known as a gifted listener, a beloved mentor, and a lifelong intellectual, died peacefully at his home on May 31, 2018. Mr. Fry grew up in Wyomissing, Pa., the son of Samuel and Margaret (Thun) Fry. Prior to entering SPS as a Second Former, he attended Wyomissing High. At SPS, Mr. Fry sang in the Glee Club, rowed in Halcyon’s first boat, and played football. He served as vice president of his form and was regarded for being “high-minded, tolerant, and strong.” He graduated cum laude with honors in history and public affairs. He went on to Yale and Harvard Law School. While at Harvard, Mr. Fry contracted polio, but forged on with his studies. He never complained about his ailment. He later founded a law firm in Pennsylvania and eventually served as general counsel of the Agency for International Development under both Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. A passionate Republican, Mr. Fry frequented many Republican National Conventions, and was known for excelling as the RNC’s finance chairman for the state of Pennsylvania. In his fiftieth anniversary report, he said, “St. Paul’s encouraged an interest in current events, politics, and government, which have been an important part of my life.”

He and his wife, Nancy, thoroughly enjoyed traveling the world together. The two also loved extending hospitality to their friends, reading, and spending time with their beloved terriers. Mr. Fry was predeceased by his siblings, Thomas M. Fry ’47 and Barbara Gosh. He is survived by his wife of nearly 67 years, Nancy; his four children, Victoria Saglio, Julia Landstreet, Allison Stroud, and Howard M. Fry III; their spouses; nine grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; his sister, Victoria Guthrie; and many nieces, nephews, and godchildren.

1949 Peter Adrian Rubel

a loving husband, father, grandfather, and brother, who will be remembered for his insatiable curiosity and penchant for experimentation, died on August 17, 2018. He was 87 and a resident of Concord and Lincoln, Mass. Mr. Rubel was born on August 7, 1931, the son of Elizabeth “Betty” Smith Rubel and Charles Adrian Rubel. He grew up in Needham, Mass., with sisters Adrienne, Judy, and Holly and brother Alexander. He attended Rivers Country Day School before entering St. Paul’s School as a Third Former in the fall of 1945. At SPS, Mr. Rubel was a member of the Rifle Club and participated in baseball, cross country, football, tennis, crew, and skiing. He went on to Harvard, where he majored in organic chemistry, graduating in 1953. As one of the only students to request a non-smoking room, he was paired with Randy Major, through whom he met his future wife, Mary Major Rubel. The couple was married on December 27, 1954, in Westfield, N.J., and together raised three children.

Mr. Rubel began his career at Dewey and Almy, then moved to Samuel Cabot Incorporated and WR Grace, before spending the final 36 years of his career as a senior engineer at Rule Industries, until his retirement in 2005 at the age of 74. His engineering skills and insistence on quality resulted in the success of Rule’s bilge pumps, putting the company on the map. His name is on patents for processes from both Rule and Cabot, covering metallurgy and plastics production. An engineer at heart, as a child Mr. Rubel would take apart and reassemble everything from clocks to cars. As an adult, he contracted Lyme disease and managed the resulting conditions for 60 years, eventually using natural supplements, the effectiveness of which was determined by a combination of his background in organic chemistry and self-experimentation. In 2010, Mr. Rubel wrote to SPS, “Life is a commitment, a mission with some social implications.” The subjects that interested Mr. Rubel were varied, and he could speak animatedly on anything from the processes of felting and glassmaking to the nature of life and philosophy. He was a poet, who wrote most of his works in his second – but favorite – language, German. He kept up with world affairs and got much of his news from the Swiss newspaper Neue Züricher Zeitung.

Mr. Rubel is survived by his wife of 63 years, Mary; his siblings; his children, Peter, David, and Anne; and his grandchildren.

1951 Wesley Coleman Dudley II

an entrepreneur with a deep passion for pipe organs and boating, died on July 25, 2018, in Williamsburg, Va. He was 85. Born in Buffalo, N.Y., on December 15, 1932, to Donald and Annette Dudley, Mr. Dudley came to St. Paul’s School in 1947. At SPS, he competed with Isthmian and Halcyon. He credited St. Paul’s with providing the foundations for a successful career and life and equipping him with lifelong friendships. It also was at SPS that he first fell in love with pipe organ music. Mr. Dudley maintained strong connections with the School over the decades and was a generous donor. After SPS, Mr. Dudley went on to Yale, graduating in 1956 and marrying Lucinda Nash the same year. He then served two years of active duty in the U.S. Navy before returning to Buffalo. After several years at the Worthington Pump Co., Mr. Dudley became an entrepreneur, first at Auto Wheel Coaster Co. in North Tonawanda, N.Y., and then at his family’s management office and several other small businesses. Eventually, he began splitting his time between homes in Williamsburg, Va., and Bar Harbor, Maine.

Over the years, Mr. Dudley remained a pipe organ enthusiast, providing funds for the public radio program “Pipe Dreams,” creating and restoring instruments, and supporting young musicians. While many of his philanthropic endeavors were conducted anonymously, he allowed his name to be associated with “Pipe Dreams” in hopes of attracting other supporters and enthusiasts. Mr. Dudley also loved boats and enjoyed taking his family on excursions on the Great Lakes, the Intracoastal Waterway, and up and down the East Coast. He owned several boats over the decades, each bearing the name Donald Duck. Mr. Dudley was predeceased by his daughter, Katherine Mary Dudley. He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Lucinda; his children, Nanette Schoeder and Donald Dudley; three grandchildren, Nicholas Schoeder, Katherine Dudley and MacLaren Dudley; their mother, Meg Dudley; and two step-grandchildren, Grace and Madeleine Waters.

1951 Arthur Hayssen Perry

a warm-hearted man, who loved music and sailing and nurtured strong connections with his community, died on July 16, 2018, in Kohler, Wisc., following a long battle with cancer. Born to Albert Fraser Perry and Marie Hayssen Perry in Wilmington, N.C., on October 2, 1932, Mr. Perry came to St. Paul’s School in 1946 and quickly became involved in numerous SPS activities. He was a member of the Glee Club and the Missionary Society, participated in theatre, played football and ice hockey, rowed, and served on the staff of The Pelican. He also served as a dorm supervisor. After graduating from St. Paul’s, Mr. Perry went on to Yale, earning a degree in architecture in 1955. He was then commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Army Reserves, serving six months of active duty in Fort Sill, Okla., and 10 years reserve duty in Sheboygan, Wisc., earning the rank of captain.

Mr. Perry began working for his family’s business, the Hayssen Manufacturing Company, in 1956. He married Charlene Wachter in 1961. After the company was sold in 1966, he went into business for himself. His wife died in 1973, and he started his own consulting firm shortly thereafter. He married Ruth Marie Fladland in 1975. Mr. Perry was active in numerous organizations and projects, many of them centered on his passions for sailing and singing. He was a member of the Sheboygan Yacht Club and the Elkhart Lake Sailing Club, the Sheboygan Symphony Chorus, the Lakeshore Chorale, and the Sheboygan Symphony Carolers. He served on the board of the Sheboygan Symphony for many years, and enjoyed leading hymn singing at the All Saints Chapel at Elkhart Lake, where he spent his summers. He also was a member of the Kohler Civic Club, helping to design and erect the Veteran’s Memorial in Kohler Woodland Cemetery, and was involved in the founding and development of the Sharon S. Richardson Community Hospice. Additionally, he served on the Endowment Trust Committee at the Sheboygan Historical Society and the board of directors at the Sheboygan County Historical Research Center. Other hobbies included golf, hockey, rowing, target shooting, pheasant hunting, and visiting with family and friends. He was a pilot and member of EAA Sheboygan Chapter 766.

Mr. Perry is survived by his wife, Ruth; his sons, Arthur Perry, Jr., William Perry, Stephen Perry, Michael Perry, Scott Fladland, and Gregory Fladland and their spouses; his daughter, Rae Ann Perry, and her husband; eight grandchildren; his sister, Jane Perry Liles; his brother, Albert Fraser Perry, Jr. ’47; his brothers-in-law, Richard Wachter, Fredrick Wachter, and John Blushkofski; and many nieces, nephews, relatives, and friends.

1952 John Roderick “Roddy” Stackelberg

a keen observer of national and international politics, whose love for the good things in life never left him, died in Spokane Wash., on March 18, 2018. He was 82. Born in Munich, Germany, on May 8, 1935, to a German father, Curt Ernst Friedrich Ferdinand Freiherr von Stackelberg, and an American mother, Ellen LeRoy Emmet Biddle, Mr. Stackelberg grew up in Bavaria during World War II. His 10th birthday coincided with VE Day. His family returned to the United States the following year. Family tradition brought Mr. Stackelberg to St. Paul’s School in 1946. His grandfather, Nicholas Biddle, was a member of the Form of 1896 and his uncle, Nicholas Biddle, graduated with the Form of 1924. Peter Wells ’52 remembers Mr. Stackelberg as the youngest boy in the School, laying the wreath at the foot of the Spanish American War Memorial in front of Sheldon Library on Armistice Day. He excelled in the classroom and enjoyed singing in the Choir, rowing, and playing hockey and soccer.

Prior to his SPS graduation, Mr. Stackelberg transferred to Housatonic Valley Regional High School in Falls Village, Conn., before earning an A.B. with a concentration in history and literature, cum laude, from Harvard in 1956. He was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1958, serving in the Chemical Corps at USAREUR HQ in Heidelberg, Germany. His duty was to map the potential fallout from battlefield nuclear weapons, although the U.S. government claimed not to have any nuclear weapons in Europe. After his military discharge, Mr. Stackelberg taught high school and adult education classes in English, German, and social studies for 10 years in the U.S. and Germany, before returning to graduate school in 1970, at age 35. Aided by a Ford Foundation Leadership Development fellowship, he earned a master’s in history at the University of Vermont in 1972 and a Ph.D. in history at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, in 1974, where he specialized in modern German and European intellectual history, with a focus on Nazism and fascism. Before finding his home at Gonzaga University in 1978, Mr. Stackelberg taught at San Diego State University, University of Oregon, and University of South Dakota. Named Scholar of the Year by Gonzaga in 1990, he published four scholarly books: Idealism Debased: From Völkish Thought to National Socialism (1981), Hitler’s Germany: Origins, Interpretations, Legacy (1999; revised 2009), The Nazi Germany Sourcebook: An Anthology of Texts with Sally A. Winkle (2002), and The Routledge Companion to Nazi Germany (2008). His work, which focuses on National Socialism, Germanic ideology, and Nietzchean thought, can be found in anthologies and major academic journals. He also privately published four volumes of memoirs. Mr. Stackelberg retired as professor and John D. and Ann K. Powers Chair in 2004.

Mr. Stackelberg was known as an advocate and supporter of social justice and environmental causes and organizations. He liked to quote Paul Goodman: “The repressed and excluded are always right in their rebellion, because they stand for our future wholeness.” He served as president of the Spokane Chapter of the United Nations Association. Outside of his work, Mr. Stackelberg loved to travel to visit family, usually to Boston, Vermont, or Germany. He enjoyed good food and good company, especially relishing an engaging political bout. His competitive streak served him well on the tennis court and at the chess board. He was a former Spokane chess champion and a member of the Inland Empire Chess Club and the Spokane Tennis Association. Mr. Stackelberg enjoyed classical music, protest songs, and long walks. A stroke in his later years did not slow him down. He always appreciated a beautiful view, a fine glass of wine, and good friends. He was a loving husband and a caring father, a loyal friend, and a dedicated correspondent.

Mr. Stackelberg is survived by his wife, Sally Anne Winkle; and his first wife Steffi Heuss; his daughter, Katherine Ellen von Stackelberg; his sons, Nicholas Olaf von Stackelberg, and Emmet Winkle von Stackelberg; three grandchildren; his brother, Olaf P. Stackelberg ’50; his half-sisters, Stella Marie, Susanne, and Sylvia Roswitha Knobloch; and cousins Nicholas Biddle ’59 and John Edmonds ’60. He was predeceased by his sister, Betsy Shulman, his brother, Nicholas Temple, and his half-brother, Curt Ferdinand Marian Freiherr.

1954 Theodore Carter “Ted” Achilles, Jr.

a retired husband, father, and business executive who helped found an innovative boarding school for girls in Kabul, Afghanistan, died on August 21, 2018, at a hospice in Portland, Ore. He was blessed to be with family at the time. He was 82 and died from complications of prostate cancer, which he had battled for two decades. Mr. Achilles was born in Washington, D.C., on January 14, 1936, to Theodore Achilles, a diplomat who served as the American ambassador to Peru and as a principal author of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, and Marian (Field) Achilles. He enrolled at St. Paul’s School as a Third Former in the fall of 1950, having attended St. Albans School in Washington. Mr. Achilles was a member of the Acolyte’s Guild, the Propylean Literary Society, and Le Cercle Français. He competed with Delphian and Halcyon, served as a chapel warden, and as president of the Sixth Form. In his college recommendation, he was lauded as “a boy with a sense of social obligation and a mature appreciation of values.” In 1958, Mr. Achilles earned a B.A. in political science from Yale. He was the president of the Mountaineering Club at Yale and climbed with a German team that achieved a first ascent of Jatunhuma in the Peruvian Andes. That was followed by a master’s in development economics from Tufts University’s Fletcher School of International Affairs four years later. He served as an airborne infantry officer in the U.S. Army Reserve (1958-60) and worked as a bank officer during the 1960s and ’70s. Mr. Achilles married Joan Baker on February 11, 1961, and together the couple raised five children on their farm in Oregon. The marriage ended in divorce in 1995.

Mr. Achilles became the chief executive of several companies in the Pacific Northwest, including Arnav Systems, Interchecks, and American Sign and Indicator. During this time, he also served two terms in the Oregon Legislative Assembly, from 1977 to 1980, where he was recognized as one of the most effective representatives by The Oregonian. In 1990, Mr. Achilles made the decision to join the Citizen’s Democracy Corp. He moved to post-communist Romania and arrived in Bucharest during the fall of Nicolae Ceaușescu. He worked in Romania and Bulgaria to help companies successfully make the transition to competitive markets. He would eventually discover many satisfying moments of his life in the field of education, but Mr. Achilles spent the majority of his career in finance and manufacturing. The son of a diplomat, he spent his youth traveling the world and becoming comfortable in vastly different cultures. His father, he told Alumni Horae in 2015, when he was the recipient of the SPS Alumni Association Award, taught him an important lesson in three simple words: “Don’t be judgmental.” Heeding that advice, two days after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States, Mr. Achilles, who had retired in 1996 – soon after learning he had cancer, called an old friend, who had ties to Afghanistan, and asked if he could help in any way. By 2003, Mr. Achilles was making his first trip to Afghanistan. It came at a time when the Taliban had destroyed 80 percent of the country’s school buildings and teachers were fleeing over the border.

In his first efforts to contribute in Afghanistan, Mr. Achilles served as director of Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study program, a U.S. State-Department-managed program that funded Afghan youth to participate in exchange and study programs in America. The program had lost nearly half of its students to Canadian exchanges, a statistic that frustrated Mr. Achilles. In 2008, he resigned. Later that year, he met Shabana Basij-Rasikh, a 16-year-old Afghan woman, who was attending public high school in the U.S. through the State Department program. It was the first exchange students who inspired Mr. Achilles to open School of Leadership Afghanistan, “SOLA” – a Pashto word for peace. The students at SOLA lovingly referred to him as “Baba Ted.” SOLA was born as a boarding school to educate Afghan boys and girls, offering them opportunities to prepare for study abroad. Mr. Achilles initially ran the school from his home in Kabul, converting the second floor into a male dormitory and renting an adjacent property to house the girls. When space and affordable rent became issues, Mr. Achilles made the decision to commit to SOLA as a school exclusively for girls. He worked hard to fulfill the school’s mission of educating students – tuition free – from all over Afghanistan, regardless of economic status. The goal of SOLA was to provide educational opportunities for Afghan students in the United States, with the hope that they would return to Afghanistan ready to initiate positive change at home and in the world.

Despite threats to his personal safety, Mr. Achilles forged ahead, turning over leadership of the school to Ms. Basij-Rasikh and other Afghan nationals, who envisioned SOLA as a premier boarding school that would eventually take the place of American secondary school education for its students, instead focusing on preparing them for higher education abroad. Mr. Achilles served as SOLA’s executive director until 2013 and was on the board of trustees when he died. In 2016, SOLA became the first boarding school for girls to open in Afghanistan. Mr. Achilles was emotional when talking about his pride in SOLA, of the girls who have earned scholarships at Smith and Mount Holyoke and Wellesley, among other notable institutions. “It’s incredibly satisfying,” he said in 2015. “I can come to tears so often.”

In his final weeks of life, after he had chosen to enter hospice care, Mr. Achilles was overwhelmed by the outpouring of love from those whose lives he touched. “Ted had a remarkable impact on the lives of many of us,” Ms. Basij-Rasikh wrote in an e-mail announcing Mr. Achilles’s death. “His legacy and loving memories will live on forever….He was larger than life, so kind, so positive, and so giving. We will miss his smile and laughter – and that firm handshake full of encouragement, hope, love, and trust.” Ted Achilles is survived by his daughters, Helen Andrews, Susan Guerard, and Jennifer Achilles; two sons, Todd Achilles and Stephen Achilles ’80; a sister, Daphne Achilles; a brother, Stephen Achilles ’62; 11 grandchildren; and the many young Afghan students to whom he lovingly devoted the final years of his life.

1954 Christopher Morgan Brookfield

a gifted preacher, accomplished writer, and beloved teacher, died of a heart attack on June 15, 2018, in Charlottesville, Va. He was 82. Mr. Brookfield was born on June 12, 1936, in New York, N.Y., to William L. and Louise C. Brookfield. He attended Rye Country Day School in Rye, N.Y., before enrolling at St. Paul’s School in 1950. At SPS, Mr. Brookfield was a member of the Student Council and the Debate Team, wrote for Horae Scholasticae, and sang in the Choir and Glee Club. He rowed with Shattuck and played football and hockey. He attended Princeton, graduating in 1958, then served as a 1st Lieutenant in the U.S. Army from 1958 to 1961. After his discharge from the military, Mr. Brookfield earned his master’s in philosophy from Columbia, and his M.Div. from Union Theological Seminary. His career was focused on education and religion. He taught philosophy and religion and served as chairman of the Religion Department at Phillips Exeter Academy from 1963 to 1975. He became Dean of the Church Schools in the Diocese of Virginia in 1975 and was ordained an Episcopal priest in 1977. He served as St. Catherine’s School chaplain in Richmond, Va., from 1988 to 1995, and was associate rector of St. Mary’s Episcopal Church from 1988 to 2008.

Mr. Brookfield had numerous articles published, many of which explored the role of religion in independent schools. In 1986, he sent a poem to St. Paul’s about his time in New Hampshire after reading a piece about the celebration of the Chapel of St. Peter and St. Paul in Alumni Horae. The poem – “No Higher Spire” – tells of Mr. Brookfield’s days at St. Paul’s and the appreciation he had for the church spire that hovered above the trees on campus. Mr. Brookfield is survived by his wife of 55 years, Lynne R. Brookfield; his daughter, Nora Miller Brookfield, and her husband, John H. Bocock; his son, Christopher L. Brookfield, and his wife, Eliza M. Graham; and six grandchildren. He was predeceased by his brother, William L. Brookfield ’50.

1955 David Dearborn

a beloved husband, accomplished fundraiser, passionate outdoorsman, and friend to many, died, surrounded by his family, at home in Beverly, Mass., on June 6, 2018. He was 80. Mr. Dearborn was born on September 10, 1937, in Cambridge, Mass., to Pauline and Frederick M. Dearborn and attended local schools in Wenham, before entering St. Paul’s as a Second Former in the fall of 1950. He was a member of the Library Association, the Debate Team, and the Missionary Society. He rowed with Shattuck and played baseball, hockey, and football for Isthmian. He went on to graduate from Harvard in 1959 and later earned his law degree from the University of Pennsylvania. He served his country as a 1st Lieutenant in the U.S. Army, spending most of his military tenure with the 52nd Artillery Brigade at Highland Air Force Station in New Jersey. Mr. Dearborn worked for 25 years as a fundraiser for Harvard, until his retirement in 2003. Prior to that, he served as a trust officer at State Street Bank in Boston. He was active in the community, serving on a number of local boards. He also was a fourth-generation member of the Myopia Hunt Club in Hamilton.

He and his wife, Mary, shared 39 years of marriage, traveling extensively, enjoying frequent visits to the family camp in the Adirondacks, and rooting for the Boston Red Sox and New England Patriots. Many of Mr. Dearborn’s family also attended St. Paul’s, including his brother, Henry “Alex” Dearborn ’57. He remained connected to the St. Paul’s community throughout his life and gave generously to the School. He was a member of the John Hargate Society. In addition to his wife, Mr. Dearborn’s survivors include his son and daughter-in-law Chris and Heidi Dearborn, and their children, Matty and Emily; his son, Fred Dearborn; his daughter, Molly Cook; two brothers, Henry “Alex” and Philip Dearborn and their spouses; and several nieces, nephews, and dear friends.

1955 Norman Henderson Donald III

a dedicated family man who enjoyed traveling, golf, and reading, died peacefully on July 11, 2018, at his home in Dawsonville, Ga. He was 80. Mr. Donald was born on November 1, 1937, in Denver, Colo., to Norman H. Donald, Jr. and Angelene Donald. He enrolled at St. Paul’s in the fall of 1950, where he was a member of the Library Association, Acolyte’s Guild, Missionary Society, and Le Cercle Français. He sang in the Glee Club and was active in theater. Mr. Donald served as a Prefect, rowed with Shattuck, and played football and hockey for Old Hundred. He studied romance languages and literature at Princeton, graduating in 1959, and earned his J.D. from Harvard University Law School in 1962. Mr. Donald worked at Davis Polk & Wardell, LLP in New York City, before joining Skaden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, & Flom, LLP, also in New York, where he was a partner, specializing in mergers and acquisitions.

Mr. Donald served St. Paul’s at various times as a form agent and form director and was a member of the John Hargate Society. When his son, Norman H. Donald IV, died of brain cancer in 1996, Mr. Donald asked that donations made in his honor to St. Paul’s. This helped to establish the Norman H. Donald Family Fund to provide financial aid to qualified students. The fund has helped countless students in the years since it was established. Along with travel, golf, and reading, Mr. Donald was an active member of the communities in which he lived. He was a member of the Union Club in New York and Rotary International. Mr. Donald is survived by his daughter and son-in-law, Helen and Silas Smith; two grandchildren, Addison and Alston Smith; and his brother, Williamson Donald ’61. He was predeceased by his son, Norman H. Donald IV, and his sister, Annette.

1959 Joseph Reed Ingersoll

a department store management executive, who in retirement became an innovator in the field of Community Support Agriculture – CSA – providing organic produce for local communities, died in Philadelphia on June 22, 2018, from organ failure. He was 77. Mr. Ingersoll was born on September 8, 1940, in Chestnut Hill, Pa., the son of Robert Sturgis and Harriet Archer Ingersoll. He entered St. Paul’s as a Second Former, one of the fourth generation of Ingersoll Paulies to wear the Old Hundred and Halcyon colors. He played lacrosse for three years and captained the SPS boxing team. He received the Hart Boxing Belt, “awarded annually to the boy who in competition is declared Champion of the School.” After SPS, Mr. Ingersoll graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, where he was president of the Zeta Psi Fraternity, then earned an M.B.A. from Penn’s Wharton School, before embarking on a career in department store management. Working for Federated Stores, Duty Free Shops, and others, he held management positions in Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco, Hawaii, and Japan. He also was a sales executive for Concept Systems, a computer firm that developed systems for retail chain store operations.

In retirement, Mr. Ingersoll wore many hats and volunteered many hours at Pennypack Farm in Horsham, where his carpentry and gardening talents (as well as his fundraising skills), were important in transforming Pennypack from 27 acres of fallow land into a food source for local families and a model for local farming and general agriculture education. He also helped initiate the food co-op concept at The Highlands in Fort Washington, where he served on the board of directors. But perhaps Mr. Ingersoll’s most memorable project was a team effort with his wife, Gretchen, and their trained therapy dogs – black and yellow Labs, making weekly visits to Pennsylvania Hospital to share time with patients and staff. For the past 12 years, countless patients had their spirits uplifted by visits to their bedsides from Nicholas, Anastasia, Elvira, and Leonard, their new four-footed friends. In addition to his wife, Gretchen, Mr. Ingersoll is survived by his sons, Reed and Richard; his brother, Robert S. Ingersoll ’56; and many cousins, nephews, and nieces. He and his former wife, the late Patricia Royce, were the parents of Reed and Richard.

1963 George Albin “Terry” Nelson III

a man remembered for his sharp mind, sharp dress, and love for his family, died suddenly in New York on May 29, 2018. He was 72 years old. Born on July 6, 1945, Mr. Nelson grew up in Wilton, Conn., the son of George Albin Nelson, Jr. and Nicole d’Anthoine des Brunes Nelson. He enrolled at St. Paul’s School as a Third Former in the fall of 1959, having previously attended New Canaan Country School. He was a distance runner and competed with Old Hundred and Halcyon. Mr. Nelson studied at the Atlantic College at St. Donat’s Castle in Wales, prior to attending Columbia University in New York. There he received a B.A. in modern European history, and his master’s in history, international relations, and business. He remained in New York City, where he worked at the Economic Capital Corporation, overseeing financial compliance for city loans to small- and medium-sized businesses for the Mayor’s Office of Economic Development, before segueing into a career as a real estate broker in partnership with his wife, Bettina. With his trustworthy nature and armed with a prodigious knowledge of the neighborhoods of New York City, Mr. Nelson was a natural at his newfound career. His analyst’s mind, unflappable demeanor, poker face, and ability to calculate numbers and percentages off the top of his head made him a keen negotiator. Those who knew him best remember him as a man of great humor, wit, and esoteric knowledge.

“George will be remembered for, among other things, an astoundingly brilliant mind,” said friend David Parshall ’65. “As his sister, Alix, said in her remarks at his memorial service, ‘We didn’t need Google. We had George.’” Mr. Nelson was an unabashed animal lover. He was a volunteer for many years at the Bronx Zoo, working at the Field Veterinary Program, where he assisted the veterinarians, and leading school groups around the zoo. He had his dog trained as a therapy dog and he and his wife, Bettina, took him weekly to visit the children in the pediatric psychiatric unit at Mount Sinai Hospital. Mr. Nelson also enjoyed bridge, backgammon, tennis, farm team baseball games, traveling, and scuba diving. His diving adventures took him to many glorious places, including Tobago, Belize, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and the Florida Keys. Above all, he was a family man. “George moved in sync with his wife, Bettina,” Mr. Parshall said. “They were inseparable and did everything together.” He was devoted to his son, Alex, with whom he loved discussing the news of the world and politics of the day, both of them voracious readers and news junkies. But he was truly happiest on a long, lazy afternoon walk in Central Park with his family, and his dog, Clarence.

Mr. Nelson is survived by his wife of 31 years, Bettina; his son, Alexander Nelson ’95, and daughter-in-law, Winnie; his grandson, Jack; and his brother and sister, Michael and Alix.

1968 Thomas Woodford Stewart

a beloved husband, father, and grandfather, died at his home in Buffalo, N.Y., on May 23, 2018, after a brief battle with melanoma. He was 67. Mr. Stewart was born in Buffalo on September 20, 1950, to Joseph T.J. Stewart of the Form of 1939 and Sally K. Stewart. He was the eldest of four sons, including Douglas ’69, Charles, and Albert ’80. He attended the Nichols School prior to entering St. Paul’s as a Third Former in the fall of 1964. Mr. Stewart wrestled, played football, lacrosse, and hockey, and was a member of the Library Association, and the Missionary Society. He competed with Delphian and Shattuck. He went on to graduate from Hobart College in 1972 and served in the U.S. Army Reserves for 10 years. In 1973, Mr. Stewart married Patricia Bolton, with whom he shared a loving marriage. Together, they raised a family of five children. After an early career in finance, Mr. Stewart transitioned into private business. Most recently he was working with his sons. Mr. Stewart chose to live out his faith in service to his family, friends, and community. He believed it was important to be engaged with organizations that impacted his life and those of his children. Mr. Stewart was a founding board member and president for Christian Central Academy. He also was a lifetime trustee for Buffalo Seminary, a private preparatory school for women. At the time of his death, Mr. Stewart was serving as chairman of the board of trustees for the Buffalo Niagara YMCA.

Last fall, Mr. Stewart spent time with several of his St. Paul’s formmates for a weekend celebrating the undefeated football team of 1967. He had been looking forward to attending his form’s 50th reunion in the spring, a trip he was forced to cancel due to an unexpected turn in his illness. In addition to his wife, Patricia, Mr. Stewart is survived by his children, Laura G. Stewart-Beach, Joseph T.J. Stewart II, David A. Stewart, Matthew T. Stewart, and Elizabeth S. Elam; their spouses; and 10 grandchildren.

1973 Charles David “Charlie” Cole III

innovator, expert rock climber, and founder of the climbing shoe company Five Ten, died unexpectedly at his home in Redlands, Calif., on July 14, 2018, after falling ill. He was 63. Mr. Cole was born in Mineola, N.Y., on April 29, 1955, the son of Charles D. Cole, Jr. and Mary Cole. He moved to Pasadena, Calif., at 13 and attended Polytechnic School before enrolling at St. Paul’s as a Second Former in the fall of 1968. At SPS, Mr. Cole was a varsity baseball player. He played the oboe in the band, served as president of the Chess Club, and was a member of the Rifle Club, the Library Association and the Math Club. In a college recommendation letter, a faculty adviser wrote, “Charlie is of one of the funniest, most natural, and genuine boys in the form – completely All-American with Huck Finn thrown in, guileless, and without pretensions. He is a thoroughly good fellow.” After SPS, Mr. Cole earned a B.S. in mechanical engineering from USC in 1978. An M.B.A. followed in 1981 from the University of Michigan. While at USC, Mr. Cole took up rock climbing, eventually becoming internationally known for his first ascents in Yosemite Valley and Joshua Tree National Monument. His list of noted first ascents includes Run For Your Life (Joshua Tree), Jolly Roger and the solo ascent of Queen of Spades (Yosemite), and Space, a 28-pitch solo climb on El Capitan.

In 1985, Mr. Cole founded the outdoor footwear company Five Ten, naming the company after the eponymous grade in the Yosemite Decimal System. Five Ten’s debut shoe, the Five Tennie, was a sticky, rubber-soled hybrid climbing/running shoe designed to make difficult descents safer. Always striving for a superior product, his research into rubber compounds at the Caltech library led to his invention of Stealth Rubber in 1986, the popularity of which eventually earned him the moniker “The Rubber King.” The rubber proved so successful that Mr. Cole expanded to designing and manufacturing a line of technical footwear that grew to include climbing, hiking, whitewater, and mountain biking specialty shoes. A lifelong inventor, his climbing shoe designs incorporated many radical new concepts that propelled the sport forward. Mr. Cole also continued to develop many proprietary rubber compounds for the outdoor industry and others. He developed a unique rubber used in the stunt sequences on the Burj Khalifa tower in the 2011 movie Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol. According to an obituary for Mr. Cole written for Outside Online by Chris Van Leuven, “Stealth Rubber became known as the stickiest in the world and would end up being used by NASA and the U.S. military. Cole eventually held ten patents.”

Known for approaching life with extraordinary focus, Mr. Cole toted a sketch pad wherever he went, furiously jotting down ideas for new products and ads. His whimsical sense of humor was essential to the company’s marketing success. When most climbing shoe companies featured interchangeable photos of ripped athletes, his advertising became known for visual puns and witty taglines.Besides climbing, Mr. Cole embraced other action sports. He was at one time one of the highest-rated bicycle polo players in the country. He held a glider pilot license, competed in triathlons, and was an early adopter of mountain biking and snowboarding. Mr. Cole focused on sports as fun and rebellious, but never forgot that the focal point of his designs would be technical advantage and safety. In 2011, Mr. Cole sold Five Ten to adidas. He left the brand a few years later and pursued raising grass-fed cattle, chess (he was a Master, having accumulated more than 2,200 points in national tournament play), and a lifelong interest in physics and math. Most of all, he enjoyed spending time with his family and being in the outdoors.

Charlie Cole is survived by his wife, Paola; their children, Margherita, Alessandra, and Wyatt; his mother, Mary Cole; and many other family members and friends. Significant sections of this obituary were excerpted from Rock and Ice, with permission, from writer Nancy Prichard Bouchard, communications and media strategist for Five Ten.

1976 Bruce Douglas Treleaven

a man known for his kindness, generosity, and sharp wit, died unexpectedly in his sleep on August 11, 2018, while on vacation in Atlantic City, N.J. He was 60. Mr. Treleaven was born on November 12, 1957, in New York, N.Y., to Harry and Elise Treleaven. He attended grammar school in Amagansett, N.Y., before enrolling at St. Paul’s School. At SPS, he played soccer and competed with Isthmian. He went on to attend Duke University. With an outgoing and gregarious personality, Mr. Treleaven had an affinity for sales and sales management roles. His successful career included work at the original Crazy Eddie, a chain electronics store founded in Brooklyn, and, most recently, Closet Engineers, a privately held firm engaged in luxury home enhancement projects throughout the Metro New York area. Well known in the Amagansett community, Mr. Treleaven greeted others with joy and made friends wherever he went, with his sharp wit, jokes, and skills as a raconteur.

Mr. Treleaven was an endless source of trivia on everything from rock music to movie history to baseball and other sports statistics to more obscure topics. This made him champion in many trivia contest teams in Northern New Jersey, where he worked and lived later in his life. Bruce Treleaven is survived by his sister, Gwyneth Treleaven Claiborne, and his brother-in-law, Robert T. Claiborne; his nephews, Thomas Claiborne and Dylan Claiborne; and his half-brother, Gregory Treleaven.

2001 Robert Keeling Spotswood, Jr.

who persevered after a 1998 car accident in which he lost his right leg, and who became an inspiration for his courage and the passion with which he tackled life, died in a tragic accident on June 9, 2018, two weeks before he was to be married to Olivia Gwinn Hellman. He was 36 years old. Robert was born in Birmingham, Ala., on February 26, 1982, to Robert Keeling Spotswood, Sr. and Ashley (Wiltshire) Spotswood. He grew up with his younger sister, Mary Hayward, in Birmingham, where he was an avid soccer player and active in all things outdoors. Robert was the consummate adventurer, an expert fly-fisherman and bird hunter, an enthusiastic tennis player, and an avid golfer.

In the fall of 1997, Robert arrived at St. Paul’s School as a Fourth Former from Mountain Brook Junior High School. He played varsity soccer and led the team in scoring. On August, 3, 1998, Robert was involved in a car accident that changed his life. The crash left him with devastating injuries (a broken pelvis, two broken arms, broken ribs, and collapsed lungs), including the amputation of his right leg below the quadricep. He found an inner strength to push forward and returned to St. Paul’s in January of 1999, determined not to let his new disability slow him down. Before his accident, Robert starred as an Alabama State Select soccer player. Back at SPS, he served as a Student Admissions Officer and a Prefect, as co-head of the Angler’s Society, and was a volunteer with the Concord Friends Program. He became the manager of the boys varsity soccer team and began looking into ways he could continue playing the sport. Through an online search, he discovered the American Amputee Soccer Association and contacted the organization’s director. After determined hard work, including learning to play soccer on crutches, in 1999, Robert became a member of the U.S. Amputee Soccer Team. Two days before the first anniversary of his accident, Robert was boarding a plane for Kiev, Ukraine, to compete in the inaugural European Open. The youngest member of the team by a decade, Robert was elected captain by his teammates and scored his first post-accident goal in the American team’s win over Moldova. He could hardly find the words to describe the feeling, sharing for an SPS web news story, “I was back and a new person. I loved it.” He also competed for the U.S. in the 2000 Amputee Soccer World Cup in Seattle. His father, Bob, described his son’s return to the field as “a dream come true for [Robert] and his family.”

At Graduation the following spring, Robert was awarded the Schlager Prize for Valor, and received a standing ovation. He went on to the University of Virginia, graduating in 2005. Though he was an Alabama boy at heart, Robert eventually moved to San Francisco. He worked in the financial and business sectors for EVault, Credit Suisse, Barclays, and Stifel, before joining LIM Innovations as VP of business development in September 2016. LIM is “a prosthetic product design company aimed at empowering amputees to live beyond the limits of their disabilities.” Robert believed in pushing himself and living life to the fullest. In September 2016, he was a member of a four-man team that participated in Adventure Team Challenge Colorado. The inclusive event featured 12 teams of five athletes each, two of them with disabilities. The weekend challenge included off-road mountain biking, rafting in the Colorado River, climbing a red sandstone monolith, and navigating by map and compass through back-country terrain. Through LIM, Robert was able to be one of the first to test and provide feedback on prototypes of the company’s innovative adjustable infinite prosthetic sockets. He shared in a LIM video in 2017 that the devices had helped him improve his longevity in participating in the activities he loved, including tennis. In the fall of 2015, Robert met Olivia Hellman, a professional photographer, bluegrass singer, and songwriter. The two began dating, celebrated their birthdays in February 2017 with the music of Robert Earl Keen at the Hellman family farm in Petaluma, Calif., and were engaged on Nantucket in June of 2017. They were to be married on June 23, 2018, at the Filoli Estate near Woodside, Calif.

Robert was a remarkable young man, whose enjoyment of life was an inspiration. He loved Olivia, his family, and his friends with unbounded passion and empathy. He was a connector, who found great joy in bringing people together for both business and pleasure. After his accident, he dedicated much of his life to improving the lives of people with disabilities. He was a motivator and role model. Robert also was an advocate for the environment and gave his time generously to support organizations that protected the trout habitat in California. He greatly enjoyed music, sports, and the great outdoors. He was a good friend to many and a positive presence to all. He lived his short life completely. In talking with St. Paul’s in 1999 about his return to the soccer field as an amputee, Robert shared his philosophy on living a good life. “I almost lost everything and I realized that time is precious,” he said. “I had been inspired emotionally but wanted to get out there and play sports again. I didn’t want people to mourn my loss as well.”

Robert valued and maintained his ties with multiple friends from St. Paul’s, many of whom planned to attend and celebrate his wedding to Olivia. Robert Spotswood is survived by his parents, Robert and Ashley Spotswood; his sister and brother-in-law, Mary Hayward and Kyle Eudailey, and their children, Edith Hayward and William Ashton; his grandmother, Edith Hayward Wiltshire; his fiancée and love of his life, Olivia Gwinn Hellman, and her family, including Mick and Sabrina Hellman; several cousins, aunts, and uncles; and many, many friends.

Staff Michael Joseph Orsillo

died, at the age of 68, in Concord, N.H., on July 25, 2018, after a long illness endured with dignity and courage. He spent his final days in the care of the skilled staff of the Compassus Hospice care team. Michael was born in Somerville, Mass., on September 12, 1949, to Eleanor Marchetti Orsillo and Joseph Orsillo into a very large and very musical Italian-American family. His father had played in a big band before taking up marriage. Michael grew up and went to high school in Lexington, Mass., and later studied music at the Longy School of Music and the Berklee College of Music. He worked as a dance accompanist at Walnut Hill School before coming to the Dance Program at St. Paul’s. He also acted with charm and mysterious menace as Drosselmeyer in many performances of the SPS Ballet Company’s The Nutcracker. Playing the piano – whether jazz, classical, rock, spirituals – and composing were his passions. For many years, Michael composed music for the plays at St. Paul’s School directed by David Newman and Annie Clark. His knowledge of music of every form was encyclopedic and he played in many different groups, well-known in the Boston and New Hampshire musical scenes. Michael had studied with the great New Orleans pianist Tom McDermott, and acquired “a unique swinging style,” which was a tremendous asset to the Tall Granite Big Band of which he was the founding pianist.

It was hard to pry Michael from his beloved piano but, once pried, he was a terrific companion on travels to Ghana, Rajasthan, and many countries in Europe. Although apparently a quiet – even shy – soul, he could work a room like a politician and, after any encounter with strangers, quickly gleaned their life stories and was a friend for life. His warm smile, his sense of humor, his kindness and generosity, and his hats will remain long in the memories of all those who knew “Mr. O.” at work and beyond. Michael is survived by his wife, SPS faculty member Anny Jones; and three sisters, Nancy Studivan and her husband, Earl, Joyce Anderson and her husband, Gary, and Elaine Orsillo and her husband, Amadou Khan. He is also survived by innumerable nieces, nephews, cousins, and by Anny’s children and grandchildren, all enormously fond of him. They loved to spend time with Michael and, as one grandchild put it, he was a “truly warming spirit to be around.” Michael was predeceased by his older sister, JoEllen Farricker. He was laid to rest in the first “green” burial service in the St. Paul’s School Cemetery. It was followed by a gathering to celebrate his life, where musicians from the Tall Granite Big Band played a pretty classic New Orleans second line with Michael’s sister, Elaine, singing.


Former Faculty Leni Mancuso Barrett

faculty member at St. Paul’s School from 1965 to 1975, and wife of long-time fine arts faculty member Thomas Barrett, died on July 26, 2018, in Orono, Maine. She was 91. In her years as a teacher of art, Leni was a significant influence on a generation of students at St. Paul’s. Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., on August 24, 1926, to Christine and John Mancuso, Leni Mancuso (the name she chose to use as both painter and poet), began to study at the Art Students League in the early 1940s. After graduating high school in 1944, she joined the Weintraub Agency in Manhattan and soon advanced to graphic design manager. She then moved on to work at CBS. At the same time, art regained its gravitational pull on her and she resumed studies, first at Pratt Institute, then the New School, and, finally, the Brooklyn Museum School. It was during that time that Leni met her future husband, Thomas Barrett, also a student at BMS, on Monhegan Island in Maine. Following Leni and Tom’s marriage in 1952, the couple left New York, teaching first at the Rectory School in Connecticut, then at Proctor Academy in Andover, N.H., before coming to St. Paul’s School in 1960. It was there that their son, Kedron ’79, was born.

When she began teaching art at SPS, Leni was one of the first faculty spouses to also serve as a faculty member. Photos from some of her classes at the time testify to her imaginative and unconventional approach. During that time, she also taught at the Currier Gallery of Art in Manchester, N.H. Following a sabbatical in 1975, Leni began painting and writing full time, extending her stays on Eagle Island in Maine’s Penobscot Bay from mid-spring through late autumn. She continued assisting her husband in organizing exhibitions for the Hargate Gallery at SPS, and sometimes designed flyers and catalogues for those shows. During those years, Leni began exhibiting widely at Saint Anselm College, The University of Maine, Klein-Vogel Gallery in Detroit, Frost-Gully Gallery in Portland, and in group shows in Boston, Washington D.C., London, Berlin, and the Portland Museum of Art. In her last few years, Leni’s work had been shown at Gallery B and the Wilson Museum, both in Castine, Maine, as well as galleries in Maine. Leni’s poetry has been published in the Christian Science Monitor, Beloit Poetry Journal, Paideuma, Trenton Review, Puckerbrush Review, and other literary journals. Her published books of poetry are available at After retiring from SPS in 1989, Leni and Tom Barrett moved to Castine. Following her husband’s death in 2009, Leni continued living in Castine, until moving to assisted living in Bangor in 2014 and, later, Orono. She leaves her son, Kedron Barrett ’79, and grandson Ilya Lorenz Barrett.

Former Faculty George Wigglesworth Chase, Sr.

beloved father and grandfather and retired longtime faculty member of St. Paul’s School, died in Concord, N.H., on August 12, 2018, after struggling with dementia for the last few years of his full and productive life. Mr. Chase spent his final months under the care of the skilled staff at Havenwood, who enjoyed his tender kindness and generous heart. Born in Canton, Mass., on September 29, 1931, to Barbara (Stone) Chase and John P. Chase, Mr. Chase attended Milton Academy and Harvard and then served two years in the U.S. Army Signal Corps prior to starting his long teaching career. Before arriving in Concord in 1962, he earned his master’s at the University of Wisconsin in Madison and taught at Taft School in Watertown, Conn. Always a learner at heart, he also took courses at Dartmouth, the University of Maine, the University of Alaska, NH Technical Institute, and, in his later years, at LINEC. At St. Paul’s, Mr. Chase immersed himself in boarding school life; teaching, coaching, and running a dormitory. His many years of devoted service at St. Paul’s inspired some of his former students to honor him with the George W. Chase Prize, awarded each year to an SPS student who best exemplifies his leadership, enthusiasm, and care for others.

The art of teaching was Mr. Chase’s passion, and his teaching was hardly confined to the formal classroom. Whether coaching in the rink or on the fields, hiking a trail in the White Mountains with the Outing Club, or discussing an issue at a board meeting, Mr. Chase always managed to engage and gently challenge those around him. In 1953, he married Sarah “Sally” Price Winlock and, by 1963, their family included five children: Wendy, George, Cassie, Sam, and Nancy. Mr. Chase was a devoted father and, later, grandfather and great-grandfather. Even in his final years, he maintained his childlike enthusiasm for hopping on a sled for a daring run with grandchildren or fully engaging and enjoying an intense conversation about turtles with a great-grandchild. Throughout his life, Mr. Chase excelled in athletics. He played baseball and hockey at Harvard, scoring the first goal in the inaugural 1952 game of the now-famous Beanpot. Though always humble about his athletic achievements, his prowess pitching horseshoes should not go unmentioned. He would often lure guests to play a friendly game and then quickly start pitching ringer after ringer.

At SPS, Mr. Chase served 18 years as head of Drury House, as the boys varsity hockey coach in the early 1970s, and as enthusiastic leader of the Outing Club. For many years he was the faculty member in charge of approving the black ice of Lower School Pond for skating in the winter. He also was known for his early-bird extra-help math sessions every day before classes and for helping to keep the SPS grounds clean by picking up trash as he made his daily rounds. Even with the exhausting schedule of a boarding school teacher, Mr. Chase found time for community service. He served as treasurer and chairman of the New Hampshire Heart Association for 18 years, was a Scoutmaster in Concord, a N.H. state legislator, and a board member of the Concord Community Music School. He also served on boards of environmental organizations, including Audubon and Five Rivers Conservation Trust. Mr. Chase is survived by his wife, Sally; three sisters, Barbara Harwood, Sally Flynn, and Laura Crocker; a brother, Jack; his child-ren, Laura “Wendy” Chase, and her partner, Mike Sutak, George W. Chase III, and his wife, Elibet, Katharine “Cassie” Chase MacLean ’75, and her husband, Chris MacLean, Sam Chase ’78, and his wife, Michelle, and Nancy Chase ’81, and her husband, Paul Hill; 10 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

St Paul's School